Paneez Jalal, BioSci student and Future Dermatologist
1. Tell us a little bit about yourself and how you came to BioSci.
I knew I was going to major in Biology, but what really made it set in stone for me was my high school AP Biology teacher, who was such a great role model and a UCI alumni himself! I came to UCI knowing that Biology was a quite popular major, so I wanted to get to know the people I might possibly be working with in the future. That’s why I joined BSC, which has provided me with opportunities, knowledge, and above all, a UCI family.
2. What attracted you to the life sciences?
I always found myself interested in all the things related to science. In middle school, I always looked forward to dissection labs or the days where we got to use those expensive microscopes to look at different plant cells.
3. Tell us about some of your educational and professional goals.
I am on the pre-med track as I intended on being a dermatologist in the future, with hopes of opening up my own dermatology clinic.
4. What accomplishments are you most proud of?
One of the best accomplishments that I am proud of is being a 4.0 GPA student in high school, which helped me get accepted as a BioSci major at UCI.
5. Who do you look up to? What is your source of inspiration?
Honestly, my parents!! They are both great role models that do a great job at balancing their work with family time.
6. What’s a cool life sciences fact you learned during your time here?
We carry 10x more bacteria cells than we do human cells.
7. What are some hobbies/activities outside of work?
Kayaking, paddle boarding, panting, rock collecting, and beach combing!
8. What is your favorite comfort food?
9. A show you’re obsessed with right now?
Vampire Diaries. I just started watching it during winter break.
10. Tell us a fun fact about you that you would like to share.
I used to do competitive figure skating growing up in LA!